Thursday 10 April 2008

Potential

I think I met someone with a job title I would like to have - content strategy director.

We had a Blue Peter session yesterday cutting out lots of modules - from our own site and from others - and shuffling them around on a giant paper version of the current homepage shell. There is so much we want to cram in!

Our editor is off to Tenerife tomorrow - something about dancing on a cruise ship?

What do we think about Europe's green light on the mobilephones on planes issue? Shane Richmond is not impressed:

I don’t begrudge people their chats. I’m sure they’re important: I just don’t want to hear them. And if there was one benefit of being crammed into a tiny, uncomfortable seat and fed terrible food for several hours it was the absence of people yelling into their phones.


Equally disenchanted with the whole idea, unsurprisingly, is Ariel Leve:

The only thing worse than being seated next to a crying infant for a transatlantic flight is being seated next to a crying infant whose mum is talking into her mobile exploring the possible explanations for the tears.

“She started four hours ago. She’s been crying the whole time. No, her nappy is dry. Yes, I burped her. Wind? You think it might be wind?...OK, I’ll tell her it’s you.”

(Pause) ‘Sweetie, daddy’s on the phone. Here. On the phone. Talk to him. It’s Da-da. DA-DA. You don’t want to talk to him? You don’t want to talk to dada?”

(Pause) “She doesn’t want to talk to you. I’ll call you when we land.”


Apparently, Air France is testing out the technology at the moment. When they make the announcement telling people they can use their mobiles, the standard response is puzzlement followed by a lot of people taking out their phones and saying 'Hi darling, you'll never guess where I'm calling from . . . '

3 comments:

Alan Joseph Slater said...

Good job title.... but you'd have to start "power dressing"!

Hope you had enough sticky-backed plastic & rubber cement for the Blue Peter bits.

Mobile phones on planes?..... AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

XXX

Anonymous said...

I've rants til' I'm red in the face about mobile phone on flights. It shouldn't be allowed, it's all about bloody money.

Travelling on a plane isn't like travelling on a train or bus, if someone idiot is annoying you, you can't move to another seat.

Carly said...

I totally agree - phones on planes - bad idea