Monday 31 March 2008

The real work begins!

At last . . . !

I was getting worried I was going to be Excel-ing for two months. But today I sat down with two colleagues - editor and publisher - and had a brainstorming session.

The homepage of our site is to undergo a renovation and it will be my job to gather information, talk to people in-house and critique the competition. I'm still going to be responsible for weekly reports and advetorials, but my main duties will be to research, harvest, analyze and present.

I will also continue to test the site on the local server before a fix is released. There's one due to go live tomorrow.

I feel excited about going into work now. The site has a lot of potential that isn't, as yet, being realized. I would want loads of interaction - more focus on blogs and comments - but this might not be right for our site.

Travel Mail is intentionally designed to seem like a unique enterprise - ie it doesn't look anything like any other section of the umbrella website. Brand identity is felt to be strong - and will be made stronger by strenuous logo endorsement and a re-working of the strapline.

I can't wait to get stuck in. And now that it is officially summer time, mornings and hometimes will no longer feel like cave-dwelling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carly, since you mention Travel Mail I thought you might like to know that the advertisers links on blogs, on the right hand side don't work in Firefox.

The links are not clickable

It's also very slow loading which I think is due to the 300x250 advert on the sidebar.

Darren

Carly said...

Hi Darren,

Thank you for pointing this out. I'm actually due to start testing on the local server tomorrow before we issue a release so I'll definitely make the relevant people aware of this.

It's good to know you're still checking out my blog! I actually referred to Travel Rants in a presentation I gave yesterday.

Carly