Tuesday 25 March 2008

First day of real work

What a morning - I left in plenty of time to catch the tube only to hear that the District and Circle lines were both down between Edgware Road and Earl's Court - exactly where I wanted to go. Thankfully, the number 27 came to the rescue and got me there just in time.

The building I am working in is quite amazing - a vast atrium with water features, escalators, spiral staircases, swipe cards, security men - the lot.

I learned some interesting things about web analytics and the powerful tools that companies use to make sense of statistics. I remember having a lecture about this kind of software from someone from one of the other London universities - you can tell exactly what people are doing on your site, how long they're spending in one place, where they entered the site and how many pages they clicked through.

I also spotted a couple of bugs and tomorrow I think I'm going to get onto testing patches.

I liked this Travelvine entry. I'm not keen on Facebook and I don't have a MySpace or YouTube account, but I do enjoy my rss feeds, del.icio.us, Twitter and, of course, blogs and blogging.

As I will be probably be spending a lot of time talking to people about advertising space in my new job, I'd be interested to know how other people feel about this - I seem to naturally faze out content that isn't part of the site . . . or maybe it registers in the back of my mind and prompts me to buy stuff whithout me even realizing . . . ?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a good question, and a delima I am having on my Travel Rants blog - companies don't seem to want to pay for banner advertising, but want instead you to add a text link because it's good for search engine optimisation.

Advertising on the Mail though will be a completely different. They get high traffic I would suspect, where my blog hits avg 2,000 visitors a day.

With regard to viewing ads I seem to block them out when I am reading the content, and I very rarely click on the ads I have to admit.

Usually, I would use a search engine or sites like http://www.kayak to find holidays, flights hotels etc rather than click on banners.

I have a certain number of sites I use to research and book, and stick to them.